Drug & Alcohol Rehab Covered by Aetna Insurance
Aetna is a health insurance company that serves around 39 million members1 and covers treatment at several Nevada rehab facilities.
Here’s what you need to know if you plan on using Aetna insurance coverage for addiction treatment.
Does Aetna Insurance Cover Drug & Alcohol Rehab?
Yes, it is very likely that your Aetna plan covers drug rehab. Federal law requires that most insurance plans provide at least some coverage for addiction and mental health treatment. Additionally, the coverage for mental health and substance use care must be equitable to the coverage provided for medical/surgical services due to the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA).2
That said, the extent of Aetna rehab coverage will vary based on the details of the specific Aetna health insurance policy. Costs will also be lower if the treatment facility is the plan’s network. Fortunately, Desert Hope is now in-network with Aetna.
Which Types of Treatment are Covered by Aetna?
The types of addiction treatment covered by Aetna may also vary according to the individual insurance policy. Services your plan may cover include:3,4
- Medical detox. This allows patients to safely and comfortably withdraw from the substance or substances on which they’ve developed a physical dependence.
- Inpatient treatment. Inpatient treatment—also known as residential treatment—requires that patients stay at the facility for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the duration of the stay. All patients can benefit from inpatient treatment, but it may be especially important for people with severe co-occurring disorders or those that lack stable housing.
- Outpatient care. With outpatient care, patients visit the facility for therapy and return home each evening. The intensity of outpatient care may vary between facilities. For example, there are multiple levels of outpatient treatment at Desert Hope. The partial hospitalization program (PHP) meets a minimum of 5 days per week for 6 hours at a time, while the intensive outpatient program (IOP) meets a minimum of 3 times a week. Standard outpatient care provides even more flexibility in scheduling.
How Aetna insurance coverage is applied to addiction treatment will likely vary depending on the level of rehab care as well as the duration of the stay in rehab (i.e., short-term rehab, month-long addiction treatment, or long-term rehab).
How to Use Aetna to Pay for Addiction Treatment
The first step in using Aetna insurance for rehab is to find a facility that accepts Aetna insurance.
Desert Hope, our rehab facility in Las Vegas, Nevada, is in the Aetna network and allows you to verify your insurance coverage by completing a confidential . You’ll just need an email address and your insurance policy number.
You can also verify your benefits and talk through your treatment and coverage with an admissions navigator at .
Benefits of Aetna Coverage for Addiction Treatment
Health insurance coverage makes treatment costs manageable for millions of people that would otherwise find it difficult or impossible to afford. Many people in Nevada or surrounding states can benefit from using their Aetna insurance for addiction treatment.
If you’re struggling with addiction in Nevada, you’re not alone. In 2020:5,6
- An estimated 10.2% of people in Nevada 12 years old or older suffered from past-year alcohol use disorder.
- 24% of people in Nevada reported binge drinking in the past month.
- An estimated 8.3% of people in Nevada met the criteria for past-year illicit drug addiction.
- 788 people died of a drug overdose in Nevada.
Fortunately, drug addiction is a treatable condition,4 and the financial assistance of insurers like Aetna can help you pay for drug and alcohol rehab and start living life in recovery.
Call an admissions navigator at to start addiction treatment today.