Addiction Therapies at Desert Hope
Addiction can change a person’s behaviors and thought processes in ways that make them prioritize drugs and alcohol over their health, wellness, and personal and professional responsibilities.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to treatment; however, addiction therapy is evidence-based and is effective for helping individuals during their recovery journeys. This article will go over the different types of therapy and other treatments that are used as part of a comprehensive addiction recovery plan.
Effective Therapy for Addiction
At Desert Hope we offer individual and group therapy for addiction in all our treatment programs to help you experience a well-rounded recovery. Individual counseling sessions are structured and customized for your unique needs and allow you to speak openly and privately with your therapist about your substance use disorder and the struggles you face.
Group therapy for addiction and addiction recovery support groups allow you to interact with peers and discuss common challenges you may face as you work toward recovering from substance use disorders together. Further, group therapy enables you to connect with people who know exactly what you’re going through and may provide invaluable insight that can prove beneficial during your own journey.
At Desert Hope, you’ll participate in recovery-oriented therapies chosen just for you based on your assigned level of care, co-occurring mental health disorders, and aftercare recovery plan. These therapies are evidence-based, meaning they have been proven to improve outcomes for patients.
Therapies for addiction treatment used in our treatment programs include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): This therapy, which is very commonly used in the treatment of substance use disorders, helps you identify and change negative and irrational thoughts and behaviors that propel substance abuse.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): This therapy focuses on improving a patient’s ability to envision, articulate, and pursue goals, develop coping skills, and work on acceptance. DBT is effective in the treatment of patients with suicidal tendencies and/or a dual diagnosis for borderline personality disorder.
- Motivational interviewing: This therapy focuses on helping you resolve any ambivalence about getting sober and empowering you to achieve abstinence.
- Family therapy: Family therapy involves your loved ones in treatment so you can improve the family dynamic and repair relationships and address resentments that may be a continuing strain on the family unit.
- Psychoeducation: This therapeutic intervention teaches you the ins and outs of substance use disorders and addiction to help you feel more empowered about sobriety and recovery.
Medications for Addiction Treatment
Medications for addiction treatment (commonly referred to as medication-assisted treatment or MAT) is available at Desert Hope, though it may not be an appropriate treatment option for all patients. In combination with counseling and behavioral therapy for addiction medications may be prescribed that reduce alcohol and opioid withdrawal symptoms and help you avoid a return to use.
Addiction Recovery Support Groups
Connecting with peers in a therapeutic group setting can give you the support and motivation you need to achieve long-term recovery and abstinence from drugs and alcohol.
We offer the following addiction recovery support groups at Desert Hope:
- Alcoholics Anonymous: AA uses the 12-step model to facilitate discussion about alcohol use disorder and recovery, and supports the notion that healing can take place when you surrender to a higher power as you define it.
- Narcotics Anonymous: NA uses the same 12-step model as AA, but is designed for people who abuse substances other than alcohol such as heroin, opioids, and stimulants.
- SMART Recovery: This secular recovery group and 12-step alternative focuses on 4 points instead of 12, and on self-empowerment instead of surrendering to a higher power.
Drug Addiction Treatment in Las Vegas, NV
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction to drugs or alcohol, we can help. At our inpatient rehab in Las Vegas our compassionate and knowledgeable treatment specialists use evidence-based addiction-focused healthcare to get you on the road to recovery and back to living the life you deserve.
Contact our helpful admissions navigators 24/7 at to learn about our different levels of care. They can also answer your questions about using insurance for rehab, other ways to pay for rehab, and how to start the admissions process. Recovery is possible; don’t wait.